Everyone can appreciate waking up to a beautiful blanket of winter snow covering the outdoors during the chilly season. Our natural first instinct is to partake in winter fun whether its snowball fights, sledding, snow angels or a breathtaking winter hike.
But when it’s time to come back indoors and warm up with some hearty soup and sweet hot chocolate, our kids (and us grown-ups!) can often track the winter mix of snow, ice, salt and mud indoors across our clean floors. How do we protect our soft carpet and dazzling hardwood planks from this unique mix of debris from the cold months?
The proper prevention and clean-up means your family can enjoy the winter wonderland outside without damaging the pristine household inside!
Here are great winter floor care guidelines:
- Snow, ice and debris essentially turn into water and mud. Keep these mess-makers at bay from the start by placing area mats at all entrances of the house.
- In addition to keeping carpets free of salt-based ice-melt agents, rubber backing on mats will prevent mud and moisture from seeping into carpet.
- Vacuum daily to pick up any visible particles, but also to eliminate any dampness.
- If mud does get on your carpet, allow it to dry completely. Shatter the dried mud with the handle of a knife, then vacuum up as normal. Blot any dirt spots with a small amount of detergent solution (1/4 teaspoon detergent per 1 qt. of water) and a white paper towel to work the affected area. Continue applying detergent and blotting until spot is removed. Rinse with tap water using a spray bottle and blot to remove excess moisture.
Hardwood Care: Did we mention how important it is to place mats at every entryway?
- In addition to the dirt particles, salt from ice-melting compounds can be especially unkind to wood surfaces. Vacuum or sweep your hardwood floors with a soft-bristle broom every day during winter to prevent scratches. It’s important to do this step before using any floor cleaners.
- Wipe up spots immediately with Mohawk FloorCare Essentials Hardwood & Laminate Flooring Cleaner applied directly to a clean white cloth. Wipe area clean with a soft, slightly damp cloth.
Thankfully for homeowners, Mohawk Flooring has gorgeous options that allow you to have peace of mind even with an active family. SmartStrand Forever Clean carpet with All Pet Protection is engineered with maximum stain resistance and resiliency to resists tracks and clean up with only hot water. And our hardwood and laminate flooring with Armormax Finish is designed and guaranteed to resist wear on your dazzling hardwood floor.
Overall, the best thing you can do during the winter months to care for your floors is to be proactive and stay on top of the situation.
Do you have any tips for household care during the cold season? Let us know by sharing in the comments below!