Hi Creative Home readers! We’re back with a playful sign tutorial that looks professional but is easy to make!
To get started, you’ll need 4 pieces of 2×1 (sized 16″ and 20″ long) and a piece of plywood (sized 16″x20″). We purchased a large sheet of plywood at our local home improvement store and had them cut it in thirds so we could get 4 signs from one sheet. You will also need stain (black walnut) and acrylic paint (we used DecoArt’s Steel Gray, Cotton White and Mustard Seed.) Be sure to have a sander, 2″ painters tape and drill ready with 1″ screws.
- Cut your wood.
- Stain your 4 pieces of 2×1 and let dry completely.
- Paint your plywood white.
- Tape in a sideways pattern, 2″ apart until the board is covered.
- Paint over the tape in gray.
- Assemble the “frame” by screwing the 4 pieces of 2×1 onto the plywood, screwing from the back.
- Stain the edges of the plywood to match the “frame.”
- Cut a moose head stencil, (download here).
- Paint yellow and peel stencil.
- Display new sign!
Yes there are a lot of steps, but it is an easy project overall! Here’s a shot of our other 3 boards we got from 1 piece of plywood:
Stop by Instagram soon for a looksie at what other fun designs will fill the boards! 😉